Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] dump my configuration?

2011-02-01 16:44:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] dump my configuration?
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 16:15:24 -0500
On 02/01/11 09:54, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> hymie! <hymie AT lactose.homelinux DOT net> writes:
>
>> Kjetil Torgrim Homme writes:
>>> you specified "Recycle", so Bacula will reuse old volumes.
>>
>> Thank you!  I thought "Maximum Volume Jobs = 1" would prevent that,
>> but once the job is purged, then there are no jobs in that volume, so
>> it becomes fair game.
>
> BTW, this is one of those properties which is only set upon creation.
> you need to fix this in the database for existing volumes.  not sure
> if/how to do it in bconsole, I usually use the sledgehammer of direct
> SQL access :-)
>
> UPDATE Media SET recycle = 0;
>
> (no WHERE clause needed, you want this on all your media, right)

That's gonna get someone in trouble one day :)

Using the bconsole method:

First, test config files after modifying a Pool definition:

# bacula-dir -t /etc/bacula-dir.conf

(no output = no problems)

Then in bocnsole:

* reload
 (re-reads/reloads its config file)

* update
Update choice:
     1: Volume parameters
     2: Pool from resource
     3: Slots from autochanger
     4: Long term statistics
Choose catalog item to update (1-4): 2 <--- Choose 2

The defined Pool resources are:
     1: Scratch
     3: FileTapes
     4: Offsite-eSATA
     5: VXA-1
Select Pool resource (1-5): 3 <--- The Pool that was modified

Those steps make sure that new volumes created in the "FileTapes" pool will
get the settings in the bacula-dir.conf file

Then, still in bconsole:

* update
Update choice:
     1: Volume parameters
     2: Pool from resource
     3: Slots from autochanger
     4: Long term statistics
Choose catalog item to update (1-4): 1 <--- Modifying current volumes

Parameters to modify:
     1: Volume Status
     2: Volume Retention Period
     3: Volume Use Duration
     4: Maximum Volume Jobs
     5: Maximum Volume Files
     6: Maximum Volume Bytes
     7: Recycle Flag
     8: Slot
     9: InChanger Flag
    10: Volume Files
    11: Pool
    12: Volume from Pool
    13: All Volumes from Pool
    14: All Volumes from all Pools
    15: Enabled
    16: RecyclePool
    17: Action On Purge
    18: Done
Select parameter to modify (1-18): 13 <--- (or 14 to skip next step)

The defined Pool resources are:
     1: Scratch
     3: FileTapes
     4: Offsite-eSATA
     5: VXA-1
Select Pool resource (1-5): 3 <-- The Pool that was previously modified

I know, a few more steps, but in the end nobody had their hands in your Bacula
db. :)

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC