Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] dump my configuration?

2011-02-01 09:39:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] dump my configuration?
From: hymie! <hymie AT lactose.homelinux DOT net>
To: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho AT linpro DOT no>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 09:37:09 -0500
Kjetil Torgrim Homme writes:
>hymie! <hymie AT lactose.homelinux DOT net> writes:
>> GreatPlains-Backup job:
>> (*) did not name the Volume correctly
>> GreatPlains-Backup.2011-01-29_23.05.00_08
>> instead of
>> GreatPlains-Backup.2011-01-29_23.05.00_08-Full

>I can't explain this (I don't use this kind of Label Format myself).  I
>don't recommend doing it this way, since Bacula will *never* delete old
>files.  check out "Action On Purge = truncate", though, it helps somewhat.

My home installation of Bacula uses generic Vol0001 - Vol0200.  That has
the added benefit that my backups should never outgrow the disk.  My boss
prefers this method; not sure exactly why.  I will look into the
AOP.  Thanks for the tip.

>> (*) failed to automatically create the Volume that it needed.
>> I had to go into the bacula-console and label a volume, after which
>> it immediately began processing the backup.

>you need to specify "Label Media = yes" in bacula-sd.conf.

It is:

Device {
  Name = FileStorage
  Device Type = File
  Media Type = File
  Archive Device = /storage
  LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
  Random Access = Yes;
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
}

That was part of my original confusion -- 5 other backups all auto-
labeled the volumes, but this one was stuck.

But it worked last night, so either it was "just a thing," or it's a
full-vs-incremental issue, or I somehow fixed it and don't know what I did.

>> Further, the "BackupCatalog" job appears to be using the names of random
>> jobs for its volumes, rather than its own name:
>
>you specified "Recycle", so Bacula will reuse old volumes.

Thank you!  I thought "Maximum Volume Jobs = 1" would prevent that,
but once the job is purged, then there are no jobs in that volume, so it
becomes fair game.

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    hymie AT lactose.homelinux
DOT net