Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] dump my configuration?

2011-02-01 08:40:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] dump my configuration?
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho AT linpro DOT no>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 14:37:09 +0100
hymie! <hymie AT lactose.homelinux DOT net> writes:

> JobDefs {
>   Name = "DefaultJob"
>   Pool = IncPool
>   Full Backup Pool = FPool
>   Differential Backup Pool = DiffPool
>   Incremental Backup Pool = IncPool
> }
>
> Job {
>   Name = "GreatPlains-Backup"
>   JobDefs = "DefaultJob"
> }
>
> Job {
>   Name = "BackupCatalog"
>   JobDefs = "DefaultJob"
> }
>
> Pool {
>   Name = FPool
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   Recycle = yes                   # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
>   Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
>   AutoPrune = yes                 # Prune expired volumes
>   Volume Retention = 90 days      # one year
>   Label Format = "${JobName}-${Level}"
> }

> What it is doing that is weird:
>
> There are 6 other backup jobs in addition to the GreatPlains-Backup job
> listed above.  The other backups all work correctly.  However, the
> GreatPlains-Backup job:
> (*) did not name the Volume correctly
> GreatPlains-Backup.2011-01-29_23.05.00_08
> instead of
> GreatPlains-Backup.2011-01-29_23.05.00_08-Full

I can't explain this (I don't use this kind of Label Format myself).  I
don't recommend doing it this way, since Bacula will *never* delete old
files.  check out "Action On Purge = truncate", though, it helps somewhat.

> (*) failed to automatically create the Volume that it needed.
> I had to go into the bacula-console and label a volume, after which
> it immediately began processing the backup.

you need to specify "Label Media = yes" in bacula-sd.conf.  see
Automatic Volume Management here:

  http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Basic_Volume_Management.html

("reload" in bconsole only rereads bacula-dir.conf -- you need to
restart bacula-sd to pick up changes.)

> Further, the "BackupCatalog" job appears to be using the names of random
> jobs for its volumes, rather than its own name:
> GreatPlains-Backup.2011-01-29_23.05.00_08-Full
> Files-Backup.2011-01-29_23.05.00_07-Full
> instead of
> BackupCatalog.2011-01-30_18.52.19_06-Full

you specified "Recycle", so Bacula will reuse old volumes.  all the
volumes are in the same pool, and therefore they are regarded
interchangable regardless of their name.  the name is just a random
sequence of characters as far as Bacula is concerned.

--
Kjetil T. Homme
Redpill Linpro AS - Changing the game