Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VirtualFull using tape drives

2011-01-07 19:31:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VirtualFull using tape drives
From: penne296 AT sapo DOT pt
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 00:02:08 +0000

Citando Jim Barber <jim.barber AT ddihealth DOT com>:

> Yes I am.
>      I am using a TL2000 tape library with two drives.
>      The technique can't work if you only have one tape drive.
>           I'm taking incremental backups Mon-Fri.
>      Then after the incremental backups are finished on Friday I
> consolidate them into a VirtualFull backup.
>           For a VirtualFull backup to work it takes the previous full
> backup     and the incremental backups since, and combines them to
> produce new     tape(s) that will be promoted to being the latest
> full backups.
>      The first incremental backups ever run for a host will auto
> upgrade     to a full backup so you're covered for that.
>           The process seems to work well for me, after I worked around a
> minor     problem.
>      After the incremental backup is complete, tapes are left in the
>     drives.
>      If tape X is in drive 1 after the incremental backups are
> complete     and the VirtualFull wishes to load it it into drive 0
> to read from;     then Bacula can't eject the tape from drive 1 and
> then load it into     drive 0 and deadlocks for user intervention.
>      User intervention doesn't help either as the tape you want to
> eject     is locked by Bacula, so you end up stopping daemons and
> interrupting     the backup.
>           The solution is to use an administrative job that is scheduled
> to     eject all tapes from the drives after the incremental backups
> are     done, and before the VirtualFull backup starts.

> Perhaps I should have just raised a bug on that...
> .
> .
> .
> .
>
> ----------Jim Barbe

i raised this issue in the devel list  a few month ago but nobody
seemed interested in solving this problem.

the subject of my message was:    bug ? bacula asks for a volume that
is already mounterd

maybe you will be more lucky?

the  idea of scheduling a low priority job to release the tapes is
bright but solving this bug would be preferable !!!

PS : Do you know if replacing full with virtualfull is possible for
standard disk based storage deamons ?

i taught that one can not read and write simultaneously from the same
SD.  so you cannot create a virtuallfull from the previous virtualfull
+ incremental as the two virtualfulls are stored in the same pool  of
the same sd

Penne