Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VirtualFull using tape drives

2011-01-07 21:54:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VirtualFull using tape drives
From: Jim Barber <jim.barber AT ddihealth DOT com>
To: penne296 AT sapo DOT pt
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 10:51:33 +0800
On 8/01/2011 8:02 AM, penne296 AT sapo DOT pt wrote:

> PS : Do you know if replacing full with virtualfull is possible for
> standard disk based storage deamons ?
>
> i taught that one can not read and write simultaneously from the same
> SD.  so you cannot create a virtuallfull from the previous virtualfull
> + incremental as the two virtualfulls are stored in the same pool  of
> the same sd
>
> Penne

I'd imagine that the same technique should still work with disk based pools.
I haven't tried as we don't have the disk space to do so.

I don't think there is a restriction on reading and writing to the same storage
pool simultaneously.
If there were then my tape solution wouldn't work.
You just can't read and write to the same Volume within a pool.

So when you create a new VirtualFull it will not write to a volume that it
needs to read from.
When a VirtualFull backup starts, it generates a list of volumes that it needs
to read from.
It will then choose a volume not in the read list to be the destination.

Regards,

Jim Barber
DDI Health