Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] incremental backup of Exchange fails

2010-12-24 09:11:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] incremental backup of Exchange fails
From: Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 16:08:57 +0200
On Friday 24 December 2010 15:54:53 Silver Salonen wrote:
> On Friday 24 December 2010 15:22:14 James Harper wrote:
> > >
> > > I started backing up an Exchange 2003 on a 32-bit Windows Server 2003
> > SP2
> > > (SBS).
> > >
> > > The full backup completes OK, but incrementals fail with error
> > "0xc800020e".
> >
> > That message is "An incremental backup cannot be performed when circular
> > logging is enabled.". There should be a message in the windows event log
> > to that effect too.
> >

> > > Some things I did after digging into it:
> > >   - disabled circular logging on Exchange -  do I have to restart
> > something
> > > after doing it?
> >
> > No you don't need to restart anything, but you would need to do a full
> > backup of Exchange after disabling circular logging before doing the
> > incremental...
> >
> > >   - reran full after these changes
> >
> > .. which I see you've already done.
> >
> > Can you make sure the full was definitely done after circular logging
> > was turned off, and then check the event logs to see if anything useful
> > is in there.
> >
> > James
>
> Yes, the full was run definitely after circular logging was disabled. But
> Event Viewer does not show anything interesting.. there is one error for
> Bacula under "Application", but that is before I did the changes.
>
> Can I somehow re-check that Exchange really disabled circular logging
> (besides checking the checkbox)?

While googling about it, I stumbled upon this article:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997323(EXCHG.80).aspx
It states that for Exchange 2000 and 2003 the Information Store service has to
be restarted after changing the circular logging option. So I did it and
incremental backup ran just OK :)

--
Silver