Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula not backing up catalogue

2010-12-16 07:58:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula not backing up catalogue
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 07:56:20 -0500
On 12/16/10 07:27, Telemat wrote:
> Thank you for your reply Mike, I took Dan's comments as being pedantic about
> html tags when really all I did was use the tools that this forum has at my
> disposal. There is no excuse for being rude and I apologise, but this matter
> is very urgent and needs resolving. Arguing about HTML formatting is not what
> the original post was about.

The problem is not tags.  It actually wouldn't be so bad if forum posts
arrived on the list as properly formatted HTML messages, because then at
least HTML-capable mail clients could render them as HTML.

The problem is that when you post config files on the forum, instead of
wrapping them in 'pre' tags, the forum "fixes" (which is to say, breaks)
the formatting by replacing all whitespace with HTML '& n b s p ;'
entities (spaced here so that it won't render), turning your config
file, when mirrored onto the list, into a huge impenetrable block of
solid text that is really rather difficult to read, especially by the
time a mail client wraps the lines to fit within the window.

I'm sure it looks fine to you on the forum.  It doesn't by the time it
gets here.  That's why Dan didn't tell you "Go away and stop bothering
us", he told you, "Join the list and post your config here so that we
can actually read it and help you."

Web fora and email tend to mix poorly.  I have never understood the
popularity of web fora.  They really did manage to take the worst of
both email and Usenet and combine them, then add additional brokenness
of their own.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.