Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Advise for a bit complicated migration/consolidation

2010-09-02 13:58:36
Subject: [Bacula-users] Advise for a bit complicated migration/consolidation
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:56:23 +0200
Hi all, I need some advises to resolve a complex case.

Global situation :
2 enterprises each running bacula
  entA : run 1.38 with sqlite DB
  entB : run 2.28 with mysql 5.0

Now they merge into a new entity. entC
I discuss with the new DataManager about the new needs about backups
We prepare devices (mainly files), pools etc.
Now bacula is reading to run : bacula 5.0.3 + postgresql (the new db standard
in entC )
The tests are conclusive.

Bacula is on one server which has it's own pg db and all the needed disk place.
Master server contain now all consolidated data from entA and entB.

Now the dilemma :
We need to have the ability to restore (in a qas most as possible quite simple
way) any data contained in the old volumes.

What would be the better approach to that. It's frequent users ask for
restoring data (2 to 6 times per week)

Is there a magic way to read old media and pipe data in them to a new media
which will be stored on a new location, new name,
and have it's file & path recorded in DB ?

Remember the new bacula server doesn't know anything about the old media, pool,
device names, so usual case like dump db ->
import on new, or bscan old media seems not possible
(Of course I've kept the configuration and can retrieve them)

Any inputs are welcome !

--

Bruno Friedmann  bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch