Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula VMs

2010-08-30 19:42:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula VMs
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 19:39:42 -0400
On 8/30/2010 1:00 PM, Josh Fisher wrote:
> On 8/30/2010 10:50 AM, Dan Langille wrote:
>> This just came up on IRC.  As an aid to newcomers, a ready-made VM may
>> be useful. A potential user could download and run the VM, without
>> having to go through the install process.
>>
>> If you use VMs (eg VMWare, VirtualBox), then I think this would be a
>> great way for you to contribute to the project. And help to lower the
>> barrier to entry. Sometimes, the hardest step can be installation and
>> just getting it running.
>>
>> :)

>   I assume you mean SD and Dir in a VM.

And an FD.  Everything a novice would need in order to play with Bacula.

 > I have been using Bacula in a
> qemu-kvm guest for some time now. Dir and database run beautifully in a
> VM. SD is a bit trickier. SD works well with disk storage. All works as
> expected even with USB disk, but only at USB 1 speeds. That is only due
> to qemu-kvm not having EHCI (USB 2.0) device emulation, however I hear
> that is forthcoming. The problem lies in using SCSI or SAS tape drives.
> Passing particular SCSI or SATA/SAS devices through to the VM is
> accomplished by passing through the PCI / PCIe controller hardware,
> rather than the drive itself. Setting up qemu-kvm to attach anything
> other than disk storage devices to the VM is more complex, and I'm not
> sure it would make it any easier. I've never tried with VMWare or
> VirtualBox, though.

I would expect any VM example to be doing disk-based backups.

To be clear, I think we need snapshots of working & functional VMs which
a novice can download, install, run, and then play with Bacula.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/