Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula VMs

2010-08-30 13:02:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula VMs
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:00:31 -0400
  I assume you mean SD and Dir in a VM. I have been using Bacula in a
qemu-kvm guest for some time now. Dir and database run beautifully in a
VM. SD is a bit trickier. SD works well with disk storage. All works as
expected even with USB disk, but only at USB 1 speeds. That is only due
to qemu-kvm not having EHCI (USB 2.0) device emulation, however I hear
that is forthcoming. The problem lies in using SCSI or SAS tape drives.
Passing particular SCSI or SATA/SAS devices through to the VM is
accomplished by passing through the PCI / PCIe controller hardware,
rather than the drive itself. Setting up qemu-kvm to attach anything
other than disk storage devices to the VM is more complex, and I'm not
sure it would make it any easier. I've never tried with VMWare or
VirtualBox, though.