Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Installing Bacula on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5.5 (Tikanga)

2010-08-29 17:08:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Installing Bacula on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5.5 (Tikanga)
From: Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas AT gmx DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 18:04:29 -0300
Hi, Joseph.

On Thursday, 12 August 2010 20:00:29 +0000,
Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> >> Indeed, I'm using CentOS 5.5 amd64. I was not doing the
> >> installation with RPM packages, but compile the source code
> >> obtained at the official site of Bacula. On sunday, doing tests
> >> comparing with the installation done with packages RPM, I realized
> >> that the difference was in which the libraries were in /usr/lib64.

> >You may consider rebuilding a Fedora Rawhide source RPM which is
> >supposed to be the latest Bacula source code version, but does
> >include the semantics to make it all work properly in the end -on
> >most Fedora derivative systems.

> I've been following this thread in hopes of uncovering the reason why
> the op would even compile himself for a platform that has precompiled
> binaries available (lets forgo the obvious argument for destroying a
> package managed Cadillac OS in the first place) and I haven't seen it
> appear?

> Why the need to endure all this pain in the first place? Even if
> compile time options needed to be changed, wouldn't it be
> easier/smarter/faster/lighter/shinier to modify the spec and rebuild?

I'm compiling Bacula because after searching on the official
repositories of CentOS 5.5, I did not find precompiled binaries. Luckily
I was able to solve this problem, although in the past days I was busy
with other things and so I could not continue with this thread.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9  29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37