Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Installing Bacula on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5.5 (Tikanga)

2010-08-12 16:02:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Installing Bacula on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5.5 (Tikanga)
From: "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale AT activenetwerx DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 20:00:29 +0000
>> Indeed, I'm using CentOS 5.5 amd64. I was not doing the installation
>> with RPM packages, but compile the source code obtained at the official
>> site of Bacula. On sunday, doing tests comparing with the installation
>> done with packages RPM, I realized that the difference was in which the
>> libraries were in /usr/lib64.
>>

>You may consider rebuilding a Fedora Rawhide source RPM which is supposed to
>be the latest Bacula source code version, but does include the semantics to
>make it all work properly in the end -on most Fedora derivative systems.

I've been following this thread in hopes of uncovering the reason why the
op would even compile himself for a platform that has precompiled binaries
available (lets forgo the obvious argument for destroying a package managed
Cadillac OS in the first place) and I haven't seen it appear?

Why the need to endure all this pain in the first place? Even if compile time
options needed to be changed, wouldn't it be
easier/smarter/faster/lighter/shinier
to modify the spec and rebuild?