Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Spooling and backup concept

2010-08-26 05:07:40
Subject: [Bacula-users] Spooling and backup concept
From: <me AT free-minds DOT net>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:04:11 +0200
Hello,
I think this is a common question but i didnt found a proper answear in
the documentenation, if there is already one please let me know :)

So we have now successfully set up our Bacula Servers and everything is
now running more or less...
But we have some questions:
1) do we really need to spool? We are not writing to real tapes, we have a
filesystem as backend (ext3 over glusterfs).
2) should we backup our whole system or just our data? I heard several
concepts what we really should backup... Because if we have lost our server
and the database isnt restorable, we cant restore the whole system, because
file attrs are lost and every file will get 664 or something like that...
Also I heard that a restore of the whole system is very slow, we should
install a fresh debian, install our packages and restore our data.
actually we have arround 80GB of Full backup (takes arround 17h) and 10GB
incremental (takes arround 2-3h). If we only backup the real data it would
be much lesser...

thanks in advance!

sebastian