Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup plan - Pool errors

2010-08-25 13:25:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup plan - Pool errors
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: Romer Ventura <rventura AT h-st DOT com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:22:52 -0400
On 08/25/10 12:29, Romer Ventura wrote:
> I dont want to have a single full backup. I want a single full backup
> per set. I have 5 sets and each set has 7 tapes.
>
> I want to keep the full backup and it;s differential and incremental
> backups for 4 months or 5 months before a set can be over written. Does
> that mean that the Full-Pool will have to have a maxVol = 10 to account
> 2 tapes for each month?

*AT LEAST* 10, yes.  You can get away with 10 if you're absolutely
certain your full backup will never for any reason go over two tapes.
12 would be better.  But you also need one tape per full backup for your
mailserver, right?  So now you're up to 15 tapes *absolute minimum* in
your Full pool, probably 20 by the time you add a safety margin.

If you have 35 tapes, I'd consider allowing for 20 in your Full pool and
15 in your incremental pool.  Remember that fulls will be the lion's
share of the data.  It may well take you a month to fill an incremental
tape, depending how much data changes each backup cycle.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.