Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Spooling and backup concept

2010-08-26 07:30:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Spooling and backup concept
From: <me AT free-minds DOT net>
To: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:25:57 +0200
hello,

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:14:43 +0200, Radosław Korzeniewski
<radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net> wrote:
> If you write volumes on filesystem, then you don't need a spool. Spool
is
> needed only when source client is slower then destination tape drive.
>  Without spool tape drive is forced to start writing on tape when some
> data arrive, stop writing on tape when data buffer is empty (due slow
> client), and again start, stop...
> This is very non optimal solution. When you have a spool, your data
> buffer could be very large (ex. a few GB, TB)  which means it can
> provide enough data stream for tape drive for optimal performance.
ok, we actually have 60G of spool space... mh subjective impression is
that the backup runs faster if we spool, may i try next a backup without
spooling.

> It depends on your recovery procedures. One of possible solution is to
> reinstall operating system from installation media, reinstall required
> application binaries and finally recover data from backup system.
Another
> possible solution is recover everything from backup system using bare
> metal recovery procedures, which is available for Bacula too. You can
> check:
> http://www.bacula.org/fr/dev-manual/Disast_Recove_Using_Bacula.html [2]
just reading :)
> or similar pages.
>    Also I heard that a restore of the whole system is very slow, we
> should
>  install a fresh debian, install our packages and restore our data.
>
> It depends if you recover whole system by hand or using scripting for
> automating this process. Fresh installation of operating system could be
> very slow too, depends on installation media, number of updates,
> available resources to configure, etc.
mh ok, we can load preconfigured images of debian to our servers and just
have to reinstall all the packages, This should not need more than 3h.

>  You have to keep in mind, that backup performed by Bacula take care of
> contents of files, not hardware and logical configuration (disk
> partitions, bootloaders, raid configs, etc.)
thats no problem, setup our lvm and raid shouldnt be the problem :)

> 80GB/17H ~= 1.3MB/s which is very slow. You have to check bottlenecks in
> your configuration (network, cpu, io, etc).
i checked our logfiles:
Spooling First 60G -> 5:33h
Despooling first 60G -> 6:26h
Spooling next 20G -> 1:50h
Despooling next 20G -> 2:03h
Writing attr 500M -> 1:40h

so disable spooling would make it (nearly) double fast?

> General rule is to backup no less and no more data then is required for
> full recover.
>
>  thanks in advance!
>
> You welcome.
>  Regards