Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 50 remote servers with attached extra storeage to back up.

2010-08-23 13:58:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 50 remote servers with attached extra storeage to back up.
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 13:56:17 -0400
On 08/23/10 12:32, columb wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Thank you all for your input - much appreciated! I'm glad it should be very
> easy.
>
> First of all, let me clarify few things as I wasn't clear in my initial email:
>
> I have 50 servers at 50 locations, linked to head office (HO) with (very)
> small pipes. All servers have external storage - NAS boxes - attached.
> I have one dedicated server at HO to (hopefully) direct all those clients.
> All jobs must run at same time. At this moment I believe that there want be
> any data going to the HO (apart from job status etc...)
>

> So where do I start? How do I set up Storage/Poll/Media?

Aaaah.  And you want to back up each server to its own local NAS.

It's an unusual configuration, but a simple one to implement.  You need
each server to have a file daemon and a storage daemon attached, using
disk storage on the NAS, and a single Director at your head office can
control the lot.  Concurrency on the clients and Storage daemons won't
be an issue, but you need to raise concurrency on the Director to at
least, say, 60.  You should be able to use a single Schedule for all
fifty clients, but each Storage daemon will need its own uniquely named
Pool, and the backup job for each client will need to specify that Pool.
 Other than that, it should be straightforward.  You should be able to
specify every Job detail except the Pool in your JobDefs, and have the
individual Job records just specify the client and Pool.  You'll want to
use a single Catalog at your head office; all the catalog metadata will
go over the wire to your head office, but you're right, no backup data
should need to travel over the wire at all.  Having all the jobs run at
once will be no problem at all.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.