Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 50 remote servers with attached extra storeage to back up.

2010-08-20 14:35:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 50 remote servers with attached extra storeage to back up.
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:31:53 -0400
On 08/20/10 11:17, columb wrote:
> I would appreciate your input on what would be the best approach to
> backup my data on linux servers using bacula...
>
> I have around 50 servers to back up, every server is connected to NAS
> box on local network (via NFS) where the backups should be stored.
> I'd like to control all of those servers from HO, which is connected
> to the branches via slow link (slow enough to not bother getting all
> data back to HO)
>
> I have around 40GB to backup as a full backup, but don't yet how much
> data to backup as a daily changes (not much, around 300MB).
>
> I have latest bacula running, testing it now with one client on same
> network. All servers are Linux servers and |I don't have any dbs to
> back up.

This sounds like an extremely simple situation, and 40GB of data is
nothing.  In your place I'd designate a single machine, possibly an
additional one dedicated for the purpose, to be a server; set up a disk
SD on that machine using the NAS as storage; put a client on each of the
machines to be backed up; and just figure out a backup schedule that
works for you.  There's nothing at all complex about your configuration.

If I were setting up a schedule for your situation, I'd create separate
disk pools for full and incremental backups, I'd divide the clients into
five sets of ten, and create a schedule for each group, staggered such
that ten clients get full backups each weeknight, just to spread out the
traffic instead of having a big spike of network load once a week.

Remember that you will need to increase the maximum job concurrency on
your both your Director AND your SD to at least the number of clients
plus a reasonable safety margin.  There is no cost to setting the
concurrency "too high".  In your case, with 50 clients, 75 would be a
good safe setting.

Let us know if you run into any problems, but this sounds like a very
straightforward installation.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.