Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Enabling hardware compression

2010-08-18 11:42:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Enabling hardware compression
From: Win Htin <win.htin AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:38:08 -0400
> Hello,
>
>        I am running Bacula 5.0.2 with a Quantum SuperLoader 3 with DLTv4
> tape drive. If i want to enable hardware compression so i can use
> 320GB from my VS1 tapes all i would need to do is run this command:
> mt -f /dev/nst0 defcompression 1, correct?
>
>        Is there any way to enable and disable hardware compression using
> bacula before a job starts..?
>
> Thanks
> ------
> Romer Ventura

Not sure which *nix version you are running but on RedHat 4/5 the command is

           mt -f /dev/stX compression  (substitute X with the correct
device number)

Run  "mt -f /dev/stX status" before and after issuing the "compression
command" to compare the change in status.

You may need to adjust other parameters also which was the case with
my LTO4 drives.

You can run a shell script to turn compression ON/OFF before your
actual job starts.

Cheers,
Win