Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Retention question

2010-08-18 11:54:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Retention question
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: stephen mulcahy <smulcahy AT atlanticlinux DOT ie>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:50:03 -0400
> I have 3 Pools - Daily, Weekly and Archive as follows
>
> Pool {
>   Name = Nightly
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   AutoPrune = yes
>   Volume Retention = 6 days
>   Recycle = yes
>   ..
> }
>
> Pool {
>   Name = Weekly
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   AutoPrune = yes
>   Volume Retention = 8 days
>   Recycle = yes
>   ..
> }
>
> Pool {
>   Name = Archive
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   AutoPrune = no
>   Volume Retention = 100 years
>   Recycle = no
>   ..
> }
>
> I want to retain File and Job records in the Catalog forever for the
> Archive Pool. If I configure the Client as follows
>
> Client {
>   Name = foo-fd
>   Address = foo.example.com
>   FDPort = 19102
>   Catalog = MyCatalog
>   Password = xxx
>   File Retention = 100 years
>   Job Retention = 100 years
>   AutoPrune = yes
> }
>
> will File and Job records in the Catalog for the Weekly and Nightly
> Pools be purged as per the "Volume Retention" periods for each Pool?

Looks fine to me. I do similar.  Although I do not bother setting File
and Job retention.

Pool {
  Name = UserBackup
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 90 days          # 90 day recycle period
}
Pool {
  Name = UserBackup-LTO2
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 180 days         # 180 day recycle period
}

Pool {
  Name = Images
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = no                  # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = no                # Prune expired volumes
#  Accept Any Volume = yes       # write on any volume in the pool
}

Pool {
  Name = CleanImages
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = no                  # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = no                # Prune expired volumes
#  Accept Any Volume = yes       # write on any volume in the pool
  Label Format = "CleanImages-"
}

Pool {
  Name = TempBack