Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Dell PV-124T with Ultrium TD4, Hardware or Software compression?

2010-08-13 14:38:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Dell PV-124T with Ultrium TD4, Hardware or Software compression?
From: Dietz Pröpper <dietz AT rotfl.franken DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 20:35:27 +0200
Phil Stracchino:
> Neither of these issues is applicable to LTO.  The compression algorithm
> (which is a pretty good one) is defined in the LTO specification, and
> the drive compresses data block-by-block, doing a trial compression of
> each data block and writing whichever is the smaller of the compressed
> and uncompressed version of that block to tape, flagging individual
> blocks as compressed or uncompressed.

In theory I agree, at least to the first point (I read the link from that
other mail.)
In practice, I can remember at least one story about incompatibilities
between different vendors, but never saw those problems on my own with LTO
drives.

Are there conformance tests/statements for vendors defined in the spec?

regards,
        Dietz