Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Dell PV-124T with Ultrium TD4, Hardware or Software compression?

2010-08-12 19:26:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Dell PV-124T with Ultrium TD4, Hardware or Software compression?
From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
To: Mike Hanby <mhanby AT uab DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 00:23:35 +0100
On 12/08/10, Mike Hanby (mhanby AT uab DOT edu) wrote:
> I'm curious whether others with the PV-124T with LTO4 are using
> hardware or software compression.
>
> I am testing a new Bacula deployment with one of these autoloaders /
> drives and haven't found a good suggestion as to which type of
> compression to go with.

My setup is a single machine with attached storage and tape drive.

I think it depends on how big your backups are and what sort of
compression you are looking for. On my fast server (8 core Xeon
E5520/2267MHz) it halves the speed of the the read off disk when using
software compression (it uses most of the CPU on one core to do the
compression).

This was a useful mailing list thread:
http://old.nabble.com/LTO:-hardware-vs.-software-compression-td15609768.html

I have hardware compression on and I get around 100MB/s throughput to
the tape device on a SAS card, and manage about 1.1TB on an LT04 tap.

I'd be interested to hear other thoughts on this.

Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange
rory AT campbell-lange DOT net