Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Dell PV-124T with Ultrium TD4, Hardware or Software compression?

2010-08-13 09:11:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Dell PV-124T with Ultrium TD4, Hardware or Software compression?
From: Dietz Pröpper <dietz AT rotfl.franken DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:06:36 +0200
John Drescher:
wrote:
> > John Drescher:

> >> Never use software compression on an LTO drive. Hardware compression
> >> much faster.
> >
> > I get around 100mb/s with gzip -1 ;-).
>
> That is still slower than a LTO4 drive.

Your clients can spool faster?

> It would also be a low compression rate.

gzip -5 yields around 70 MB/s.

> Also I would bet if you had client machines not all
> of them could do 100MB/s..

The test machine is a mobile [email protected]. In modern terms more the
lower end on the performance scale, at least for single threaded stuff.

But my main point against hardware compression always was the data blurring
on high entropy input - which does not hold for lto.