Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Dell PV-124T with Ultrium TD4, Hardware or Software compression?

2010-08-13 05:31:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Dell PV-124T with Ultrium TD4, Hardware or Software compression?
From: Dietz Pröpper <dietz AT rotfl.franken DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:10:27 +0200
Rory Campbell-Lange:
> On 12/08/10, Mike Hanby (mhanby AT uab DOT edu) wrote:
> > I'm curious whether others with the PV-124T with LTO4 are using
> > hardware or software compression.
> >
> > I am testing a new Bacula deployment with one of these autoloaders /
> > drives and haven't found a good suggestion as to which type of
> > compression to go with.
>
> My setup is a single machine with attached storage and tape drive.
>
> I think it depends on how big your backups are and what sort of
> compression you are looking for. On my fast server (8 core Xeon
> E5520/2267MHz) it halves the speed of the the read off disk when using
> software compression (it uses most of the CPU on one core to do the
> compression).
>
> This was a useful mailing list thread:
> http://old.nabble.com/LTO:-hardware-vs.-software-compression-td15609768.
> html
>
> I have hardware compression on and I get around 100MB/s throughput to
> the tape device on a SAS card, and manage about 1.1TB on an LT04 tap.
>
> I'd be interested to hear other thoughts on this.

IMHO there are two problems with hardware compression:
1. Data mix: The compression algorithms tend to work quite well on
compressable stuff, but can't cope very well with precompressed stuff, i.e.
encrypted data or media files. On an old DLT drive (but modern hardware
should perform in a similar fashion), I get around 7MB/s with "normal" data
and around 3MB/s with precrompessed stuff. The raw tape write rate is
somewhere around 4MB/s. And even worse - due to the fact that the
compression blurs precompressed data, it also takes noticeable more tape
space.
2. Vendors: I've seen it more than once that tape vendors managed to break
their own compression, which means that a replacement tape drive two years
younger than it's predecessor can no longer read the compressed tape.
Compatibility between vendors, the same.
So, if the compression algorithm is not defined in the tape drive's
standard then it's no good idea to even think about using the tape's
hardware compression.

cheers,
        Dietz