Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Autochanger Questions

2010-08-06 12:09:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Autochanger Questions
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 12:07:14 -0400
>> Do you have any valuable backups on the tapes?
>

> Only one tape yes, is there a way to preserve the data and re-lable?

I would put that aside for now and migrate it later.

http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/concepts/concepts/Migration_Copy.html

> I suppose I will also have to roll back a hack I did to the mtx-changer
> script to simulate the volumes for the re-labelling to work or can I just
> ignore it?

I am not sure what hack you did but I would probably remove that.

Now after that what you need to do is to delete all bacula volumes
that are labeled except the one volume that has data on.

After this you need to use mtx or the changer controls to load 1 tape
at a time into the changer and then issue the following commands for
each tape:

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
mt -f /dev/nst0 weof

These commands will erase the tapes.

I know this is a lot of work. You may want to create a bash script
that does this for you..

After this you need to use label barcodes on the volumes.

Do you have more than 1 pool that you will use for your tapes?

I ask that because if there is only 1 pool you will not need to use
the Scratch pool.
John