Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] About Difference between File and Job Retention

2010-07-27 03:03:32
Subject: [Bacula-users] About Difference between File and Job Retention
From: Kazuhiro Takenaka <takenakak AT intellilink.co DOT jp>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:02:01 +0900
Hi All.

I am a newbie of Bacula and learning how to set up Bacula's
configuration files and how the directives of these files work.
For this study, I complied the RPMS of Bacula 5.0.2 from source RPM
and installed them in Redhat EL 5.4.

Now, I am checking File and Job Retention of Client resource.
Both of these directives are explained in "Bacula Main Reference".
The manual gives almost same description to these directives,
but I found them work different when auto pruning runs.

When File Retention is set to 0 and the same job is performed twice,
auto pruning induced by the 2nd job deletes the file records of the
1st job.

But when Job Retention is set to 0, auto pruning induces by the 2nd
job doesn't delete any job record of the 1st job. More than that,
no matter how many times the job runs, no job record is deleted by
auto pruning.

# It seems that setting 0 to Job Retention is to prohibit auto
# proning for job records.

The definition of the Client resource for this test is:

Client {
  Name = take104-fd
  Address = take104
  FDPort = 9102
  Catalog = MyCatalog
  Password = "@@@@@@@@@@"          # password for FileDaemon
  File Retention = 1000 seconds
  Job Retention  =    0 seconds
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired Jobs/Files
}

The report about auto pruning showed by "messages" command is:

27-Jul 14:51 take104-dir JobId 1: Begin pruning Jobs older than 0 secs.
27-Jul 14:51 take104-dir JobId 1: No Jobs found to prune.
27-Jul 14:51 take104-dir JobId 1: Begin pruning Jobs.
27-Jul 14:51 take104-dir JobId 1: No Files found to prune.
27-Jul 14:51 take104-dir JobId 1: End auto prune.

# I tried running the same job five times in a row and
# every run makes the same message.

Is this a feature of Bacula? Is there any reason for this?

Sincerely.
--
Kazuhiro Takenaka
<takenakak AT intellilink.co DOT jp>