Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status report

2010-07-27 06:23:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status report
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik AT iki DOT fi>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:21:01 +0300
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 05:54:03PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> 2. New release cycle:
> The little code we currently have for the next major release is in the SF
> bacula git repository under Branch-5.1.
>
> We are considering to moving to a regular 6 month release cycle. The
> advantage
> of such a cycle is that it gets features out to you faster.  The disadvantage
> is that it doesn't work so well in small projects like Bacula if there are
> not sufficient contributions.
>
> Such a release would consist of the following points:
>
> - A release every 6 months

Hopefully this means 'major' release every 6 months.

> - The deadline is not absolute and could be extended to 9 months if there were
>   insufficient new submissions.
> - There will be far fewer or no bug fix updates as they are not really needed
>   if we can maintain a 6 month cycle.

I've read your comments about this from the other emails, but I think it's
important to release new *minor* versions for known/important bugs,
assuming the fixes are available.

> - Two months before the projected release we will decide if there are
>   sufficient new features to release
> - The release count down will consist of 3 phases
>      1.  We will add all new approved features
>           The first 4 months after a release this phase will go into
>           effect for the next release
>    - 2. Only very small new features (a few lines) will be added
>           Two months before the final release this phase will go into
>           effect.  Note, this phase can be delayed 3 months if insufficient
>           new features are submitted
>      3. Only bug fixes
>          This phase will go into effect one month before the release
>
> Under this scheme, we are currently in Phase 3 for the 5.0.3 release, and the
> next major release (5.2.0) would be made before mid-January 2011, and is
> currently under development in Branch-5.1 on Source Forge.

So if 5.0.3 ends up having some bad bug, 5.0.4 should be released before 5.2.0.

ie. use most development efforts on the major/master branch,
but still maintain stable branch.

-- Pasi