Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] About Difference between File and Job Retention

2010-07-28 19:58:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] About Difference between File and Job Retention
From: Kazuhiro Takenaka <takenakak AT intellilink.co DOT jp>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:23:19 +0900
Hi Martin.

> File and Job pruning work differently for safety reasons.
>
> Pruning files is always safe, because the job remains on the volume and can
> still be used to restore files.
>
> Pruning jobs is not safe because a volume can be recycled if it has no
> remaining jobs in the catalog.
>
> For safety, Bacula tries to avoid losing all copies of a backup.  It will only
> prune a job if it can find a similar Full backup that is newer than the Job
> Retention period.  Setting Job Retention = 0 makes this impossible, so nothing
> is pruned.

You say auto pruning of job records considers previous backup jobs.
Hum, surely it should do so.

I run another test to know how auto pruning considers older
job records, but I am a little bit confused about its result.
But maybe I missunderstand something or miss-operated.

I try to think about this problem a little more.

Thanks for your apply.