Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] requesting old volume.

2010-07-22 22:38:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] requesting old volume.
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Jeremiah D. Jester" <jjest AT u.washington DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:32:20 -0400
> I have 4 pools total, two pools defined by me: Offsite and Onsite and two
> that I believe are default to Bacula: Catalog and Scratch.
>
> Offsite retention period is 6 months, Onsite is 3 months. Once a volume is
> marked full from Onsite the volume goes on the shelf to the back of the
> stack. With our offsite volumes, full tapes are sent away and returned 3
> months later, leaving us 3 more months on the shelf before the tapes are
> rewritten. Once the expiration date is met (calculated from last written date
> + 3 months for onsite, + 6 months from offsite) they are available to be
> reused. They do not necessarily go back into the same pool they were
> previously used since I allocate them all to 'scratch' after issuing 'label
> barcodes'
>
> Any errors in my process?

No that seems fine. I thought you were rotating volumes weekly or
similar that could be easily automated using even/odd week pools or
similar..

With your procedure things should be fine as long as you make sure
that volumes only go offsite if they are marked full or used. This way
bacula will not ask for volumes that are unavailable.

John