Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Can't access tape device after upgrade from v2.4.4-1 to 5.0.2-1

2010-07-18 17:57:35
Subject: [Bacula-users] Can't access tape device after upgrade from v2.4.4-1 to 5.0.2-1
From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 22:52:33 +0100
Late last week I had my first run at Bacula on a Linux server with
self-contained storage and an LT04 16 slot tape library (a Dell PV-124T)
connected by a SAS controller. I ran 2.4.4-1 as it was the default under Debian
stable. After a few dry runs and problems I succeeded in backing up just over
2TB of data to 3 tapes (just over 2 tapes) at around 70MB/s. Retrieves went
fine.

I've now upgraded to 5.0.2-1 using Debian backports so that we can run
close to the latest version. I'm using much the same configuration, but
both the Storage service and btape hang after trying to access the
drive.

It looks like I've still got access to the library, but somehow I've lost
connection to the actual tape drive.

As the server and tape drive are in a data centre I'd be glad for advice on
what to do next!

Regards
Rory

# btape -pv /dev/nst0

    Tape block granularity is 1024 bytes.
    btape: butil.c:284 Using device: "/dev/nst0" for writing.
    18-Jul 22:27 btape JobId 0: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0"
command.
    18-Jul 22:27 btape JobId 0: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result is
Slot 5.

    18-Jul 22:32 btape: Fatal Error at device.c:298 because:
    dev open failed: dev.c:491 Unable to open device "LTO4-Drive1" (/dev/nst0):
ERR=Input/output error

    18-Jul 22:32 btape JobId 0: Fatal error: butil.c:193 Cannot open
"LTO4-Drive1" (/dev/nst0)

# mtx -f /dev/sg4 status

    Storage Changer /dev/sg4:1 Drives, 16 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
    Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 5 Loaded)
          Storage Element 1:Full
          Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=000006L4
          Storage Element 3:Full
          Storage Element 4:Full
          Storage Element 5:Empty
          Storage Element 6:Full
          Storage Element 7:Full
          Storage Element 8:Full
          Storage Element 9:Full
          Storage Element 10:Full
          Storage Element 11:Full
          Storage Element 12:Full
          Storage Element 13:Full
          Storage Element 14:Full
          Storage Element 15:Full :VolumeTag=CLNU00L1
          Storage Element 16:Full

# mt -f /dev/nst0 status

    /dev/nst0: Input/output error

--