Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Can't access tape device after upgrade from v2.4.4-1 to 5.0.2-1

2010-07-19 07:44:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Can't access tape device after upgrade from v2.4.4-1 to 5.0.2-1
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 07:38:49 -0400
On 7/19/2010 4:21 AM, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> On 18/07/10, John Drescher (drescherjm AT gmail DOT com) wrote:
>>> # btape -pv /dev/nst0
>>>
>>> ? ?Tape block granularity is 1024 bytes.
>>> ? ?btape: butil.c:284 Using device: "/dev/nst0" for writing.
>>> ? ?18-Jul 22:27 btape JobId 0: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0"
>>> command.
>>> ? ?18-Jul 22:27 btape JobId 0: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result
>>> is Slot 5.
>>>
>>> ? ?18-Jul 22:32 btape: Fatal Error at device.c:298 because:
>>> ? ?dev open failed: dev.c:491 Unable to open device "LTO4-Drive1"
>>> (/dev/nst0): ERR=Input/output error
>>>
>>> ? ?18-Jul 22:32 btape JobId 0: Fatal error: butil.c:193 Cannot open
>>> "LTO4-Drive1" (/dev/nst0)
>
>>> # mt -f /dev/nst0 status
>>>
>>> ? ?/dev/nst0: Input/output error
>>>

>> Check if bacula-sd is still running. If so the mt command is expected to
>> fail.
>
> I had stopped bacula-sd when I did the above. However I may have caused
> a problem earlier (while still running bacula-sd) because I had a tape
> labelled under v2.4.4 which had no catalogue after my upgrade, so I
> attempted to use the "brute force" approach to write an end of file mark
> on the tape as set out here:
> http://www.bacula.org/3.0.x-manuals/en/console/console/Bacula_Console.html#215

Oh.... your tapes should still be usable after the upgrade.  I think you
need to concentrate on that problem first. Ignore all others.

> Is the best thing to do to:

Your objective is missing from this post.  What are you trying to
accomplish?  What is your goal?

> * restart the tape library

Do you mean power cycle the hardware?

> * stop all bacula daemons

Possibly only bacula-sd

> * brute force and EOF to each tape with a previous label that I want to
>    re-use

What is the goal here?  losing tape content?

> * start all bacula daemons

To access the tape directly, usually all you need to do is umount it
from from bconsole

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/