Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] [Newbie] Differences to Amanda

2010-07-15 10:49:38
Subject: [Bacula-users] [Newbie] Differences to Amanda
From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:46:38 +0100
We are presently trying to use Amanda to write 7-10TB of data from one
server to an LTO4 tape library. We are frustrated with problems in
retrieving files from the second tape onwards. Amanda seems to suffer
from an intrinsic problem about knowing where to find a file from the
backup set, which is frustrating the process of resolving this problem
as the whole backup has to be dumped to disk to try and find the file.

Consequently we are considering moving to Bacula. The integration with
Postgres and python sounds very good to us.

I'd be grateful to know if the Bacula catalogue records allow Bacula to
more rapidly restore data from large tape sets by understanding which
tape it is stored upon.

I'd also be grateful for comments on how to best deal with an
environment where the main storage server will act as Bacula Director,
Client and Storage, and in an environment with only ssh access to a
shell console.

A final question about the on-tape format:
We chose Amanda originally because we could cite it as using an "open
standard" which would allow people to easily restore data in 15 years'
time assuming the tapes hadn't become corrupt. I understand that Bacula
uses its own tape format and that over time, this has changed.

Thanks for any comments,
Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange