Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Newbie] Differences to Amanda

2010-07-15 15:50:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Newbie] Differences to Amanda
From: richard <richard AT sauce.co DOT nz>
To: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 07:47:48 +1200
Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:

> I'd be grateful to know if the Bacula catalogue records allow Bacula to
> more rapidly restore data from large tape sets by understanding which
> tape it is stored upon.

Absolutely. We are doing 12+ TB backups to LTO4 and restoration of a
single file is extremely efficient - a few minutes. As I understand it,
bacula locates a file by first identifying which tape, then which file
block within the tape it is located.

In our case, file blocks are 5GB in size and so once the required tape
is loaded, the tape is spooled straight to the required file block, at
which point it reads the the block until it finds the data to restore.

> I'd also be grateful for comments on how to best deal with an
> environment where the main storage server will act as Bacula Director,
> Client and Storage, and in an environment with only ssh access to a
> shell console.

Console access is no problem at all. The bconsole utility does all you
require.

Regards,

Richard