Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Storage Daemon crash backtrace

2010-07-02 12:47:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Storage Daemon crash backtrace
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Robert LeBlanc <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 18:46:42 +0200
On Friday 02 July 2010 18:24:13 Robert LeBlanc wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Frank Sweetser <fs AT wpi DOT edu> wrote:
> > On 07/02/2010 11:17 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > > Having said this, I cannot rule out a problem on openssl at this point.
> >
> > I forgot to mention one other *very* important data point.  After the
> > ticket I
> > opened up came back as a problem outside of bacula, I did some more
> > testing on
> > the system in question.  I found that I was able to reproduce similar
> > problems
> > using scp to do encrypted transfers of multi-gig files.  I didn't get
> > segfaults, but I did get socket errors.  This pretty strongly supports
> > the conclusion that the root cause of the problem isn't in bacula itself.
>
> Did you happen to open a bug against OpenSSL for this? I would like to
> track it if you did. I wonder if this is a problem that I'm seeing in
> Apache too.

When your problem first came up, Eric researched seg faults in OpenSSL on the
Internet, and he was very suprised that there were so many.  Most were
apparently due to improper initialization, but just the same, a program that
is supposed to improve security should not seg fault (having said that, I
don't yet want to imply that OpenSSL is at fault here ...).

Kern