Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Storage Daemon crash backtrace

2010-07-04 23:27:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Storage Daemon crash backtrace
From: Robert LeBlanc <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 21:21:35 -0600
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com> wrote:
Hello Robert,

Eric and I "finished" Bacula Enterprise version 4.0.0 today, a bit faster than
I expected, so I am not running all the final tests, which gave me some time
to look at the problem.

I downloaded the zlib source code, and I don't immediately see anything in the
file that would cause problems -- of course it is quite complicated code.

I did look through the Bacula TLS code, and I noticed that the author did not
properly set error conditions in Bacula when it finds an error on the comm
line.  This could cause Bacula to continue running, and might cause
subsequent calls to openssl subroutines, when there is no valid data, and
thus the seg fault.  I still must test the changes I made.

It is rather a long shot, but if you see that everytime that the SD crashes it
is when there is a disrupted comm line problem, then it could well be the
problem -- of course, if one has a good solid network, there should never be
any "broken pipe" errors, which is possibly why we cannot see the problem.

Having said this, I cannot rule out a problem on openssl at this point.

Best regards,

Kern

zlib is the compression library, right? I haven't specified to use compression, is it on as a requirement of TLS? Since the transfer is all on a LAN I'm not hurting for compression. Is it possible to turn it off?

Thanks,

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University