Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent jobs on the same storage

2010-02-24 06:40:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent jobs on the same storage
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:38:17 GMT

> On Tuesday 23 February 2010 20:45:26 Martin Simmons wrote:
> > I think you have the concept backwards -- it is designed to prevent
> > concurrency on that device rather than allowing more of it.
> >
> > The default allows an unlimited number of jobs to be queued (or run
> > concurrently on a single volume).  The new resource allows you to force jobs
> > to run on another "compatible drive" instead.
>
> No, the default for devices has always been to allow only 1 job.

That's not correct.  Bacula has always been able to run multiple concurrent
jobs to the same device, as long as the concurrency settings allow it (they
don't by default) and all of the jobs use the same volume.  The data from the
jobs gets interleaved on the volume.  See
http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/problems/problems/Tips_Suggestions.html#SECTION003170000000000000000
or the old manual:
http://www.bacula.org/2.4.x-manuals/en/main/Tips_Suggestions.html#SECTION0038170000000000000000

>                                                                  In Bacula
> 5.0
> there's a new directive for devices: "Maximum Concurrent Jobs". That should
> allow multiple jobs to run on the same device.

That is not what the documentation for the new feature says.  See
http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/New_Features_in_5_0_0.html#SECTION00410000000000000000)
and Maximum Concurent Jobs item in
http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Storage_Daemon_Configuratio.html#SECTION001930000000000000000
Note that it specifically mentions multiple drives and the same pool.

> > You seem to be using different volumes for each job, so they can't run
> > concurrently on the same device anyway.
>
> Actually I don't want to run the same job on the same device concurrently,
> but
> to run multiple different jobs on the same device.

Yes, I know you want to run different jobs.

>                                                    I use disk-based backups,
> so device in my case is a folder. With device allowing only 1 job to run, to
> be able to run different jobs concurrently into the same folder (aka device)
> have to define separate devices for every job, which seems quite.. redundant.
>
> With device allowing multiple jobs concurrently I can define just one device
> (eg. pointing to /backup/silver) and run every job of the same client on that
> device.

No, that still doesn't work, just like it doesn't work for tape devices (a
tape drive can't read/write more than one tape at a time).

__Martin