Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent jobs on the same storage

2010-02-24 10:25:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent jobs on the same storage
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:03:58 -0500
On 2/24/2010 9:25 AM, Silver Salonen wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 February 2010 15:58:57 John Drescher wrote:
>
>>> OK. I have never used tapes with Bacula. But I'd expect a file-type device

>>> be able to load more than 1 volume at a time. It's quite trivial, isn't
>>>
> it?
>

>> This was a design decision that all devices are treated the same way.
>>
> It's like assuming that the "ultimate" backup-devices are tapes. And as I
> don't think that way, it's so annoying these design decisions rely on
> somebody's (emotional/historical) opinion.

The ultimate is a stream of bytes that makes up a Bacula volume. In this
way, a bacula volume is not media dependent, in that it doesn't matter
whether that volume is on tape, disk file, DVD, FIFO, etc. The design
decision separates backup function from I/O details.

> What's the use of treating all the devices the same way anyway? Ease of
> programming? Even though it makes this part of the whole project so rigid?

Bacula is following the Unix paradigm of "everything is a file", which
is to separate functionality from i/o details. Not everyone agrees,
perhaps, but it is a time tested method that has proven to work and is
trusted. Trust is of primary importance for any backup system.