Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Deploying Bacula

2010-02-03 06:10:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Deploying Bacula
From: FredNF <fred AT nfrance DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:06:25 +0100
Le Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:32:58 -0500,
Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org> a écrit :

> > So, my questions are:
> >     - How do I define my pools ?
>
> Define them along the lines of the parameters for Pool.  For
> starters, different retention times require different Pools.

Then, the pools can be for each kind of server, let say, 3 pools
(daily, weekly an monthly) by type of backup (system and datas ?), so 6
pools.

So, as I have 3 kind of server... 18 pools ?

Is this acceptable or too complicated ?

> It is not so much the size of the backups, it's more the number of
> files in the backup.  Backing up 1 million files each 1KB in size
> will take longer than backing up 1 file of 1 million KB.  That is
> because there will be 1 million times more database accesses (in
> general) for the larger number of files.

Web servers... So many many many little files.

> So if you have 600 servers to backup, that's at least 600 jobs.
> That's a high performance situation, but I'm sure it's not the
> largest Bacula installation around.  What hardware do you have
> available for your database server?  I would recommend making
> dedicated just to the Bacula server, give it fast HDD, and lots of
> RAM.

With the others advices I had, I'm planning to have a dual Xeon Nehalem,
with 8 ou 12 GB of RAM, and four 300 GB SAS disks in RAID 10. Not sure
about the OS, I'm balancing between FreeBSD and Gentoo.

But, if someone here have a similar setup, I'm ready to hear his
advices and tips about my configuration.

I'm freaking out about the configs files :) They'll be really huge I
think.

Regards,

Fred.