Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Building Bat + ActionOnPurge

2010-02-03 06:00:56
Subject: [Bacula-users] Building Bat + ActionOnPurge
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "bacula-announce" <bacula-announce AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 11:57:40 +0100
Hello,

Bat:

We have received a number of problem reports and bugs about building and
running bat, and unfortunately our documentation was insufficient, which is
hopefully now corrected.

Bat is built with the Qt packages for doing the GUI. I have worked with a lot
of different GUI packages (Sun/Solaris, Mac, Windows, OS/2, wxWidgits, X,
Qt3, Qt4, ...) and I prefer Qt4 over all the other ones.  However, it is very
version dependent, which is a bit of a pain.  As a consequence, the only way
to get a stable working version of Bat is to build it on the version of Qt
where we have built and tested it.  That version is Qt 4.3.4 (default on
Ubuntu 8.04).

So to get bat to build correctly, we have released a depkgs-qt that contains
the source code for Qt 4.3.4, and if you are trying to build Bat, either you
should load the Qt 4.3.4 binaries on your system, or download our depkgs-qt
release from Source Forge and built Qt 4.3.4 there.  Building from depkgs-qt
does not install Qt on your system, it is just used in the Bat build.

We have updated the manuals (5.0.0 and 5.1.x-development) on the web site to
have more detailed instructions on building Bat.  Hopefully this will resolve
any and all problems you may be having.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please see:

http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Installing_Bacula.html#SECTION001250000000000000000

for details.

ActionOnPurge:    --- Please do not use!!!

Action on purge is a new directive in 5.0.0, which permits automatically
truncating your volumes with the volume is purged.  Unfortunately, this new
code is not very robust and in some cases can lead to problems.  We strongly
recommend that you avoid using this directive.

We are rewriting the implementation for version 5.0.1 where it will be a very
useful feature.

Best regards,

Kern