Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Deploying Bacula

2010-02-03 08:23:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Deploying Bacula
From: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT myunix DOT dk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 13:18:37 +0100
On 02/ 3/10 12:06 PM, FredNF wrote:
> Le Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:32:58 -0500,
> Dan Langille<dan AT langille DOT org>  a écrit :
>
>>> So, my questions are:
>>>      - How do I define my pools ?
>>
>> Define them along the lines of the parameters for Pool.  For
>> starters, different retention times require different Pools.
>
> Then, the pools can be for each kind of server, let say, 3 pools
> (daily, weekly an monthly) by type of backup (system and datas ?), so 6
> pools.
>
> So, as I have 3 kind of server... 18 pools ?
>
> Is this acceptable or too complicated ?
>
>> It is not so much the size of the backups, it's more the number of
>> files in the backup.  Backing up 1 million files each 1KB in size
>> will take longer than backing up 1 file of 1 million KB.  That is
>> because there will be 1 million times more database accesses (in
>> general) for the larger number of files.
>
> Web servers... So many many many little files.
>
>> So if you have 600 servers to backup, that's at least 600 jobs.
>> That's a high performance situation, but I'm sure it's not the
>> largest Bacula installation around.  What hardware do you have
>> available for your database server?  I would recommend making
>> dedicated just to the Bacula server, give it fast HDD, and lots of
>> RAM.

The bulk of Bacula's DB operations are purely disk IOPS bound so I would
argue that IOPS is way more important than RAM.

> With the others advices I had, I'm planning to have a dual Xeon Nehalem,
> with 8 ou 12 GB of RAM, and four 300 GB SAS disks in RAID 10. Not sure
> about the OS, I'm balancing between FreeBSD and Gentoo.
>
> But, if someone here have a similar setup, I'm ready to hear his
> advices and tips about my configuration.

We are currently planning a large Bacula deployment (~1k machines) so I
have been facing many of the same challenges.

Regardless of whatever database you choose you'll need enough disk IOPS
to service the DB and I don't think that 4 x 300 GB SAS are sufficient.

A 4 disk RAID10 will give you the write IOPS equivalent to 2 disks and
the DB is most likely going to do synchronous random writes which in
turn is 100% disk IOPS bound.

Find the tech specs of the disks you are using - they should give you an
indication of how many random write IOPS they can handle.

Additionally, you should align your FS to the same blocksize as your
database - 8K for postgresql if I remember correctly. It you are using a
fixed blocksize FS where the blocksize is lower than the DB blocksize
you could end up in a siutation where one DB operation is causing 2 or
more disk IOPS.

We backup ~35TB each week in a 3 week rotation so we just have to scale
out in order to meet our demands and we are planning to go multi-DIR,
multi-SD with a couple of very hefty MySQL servers to service them.

Directors will run Linux and both our SD's and MySQL servers will run
Solaris.

The only place where we scale up instead of our are our SD's - currently
our 3 SD nodes have access to 300+ disks and 2 dedicated 10 Gbit fiber
links.

> I'm freaking out about the configs files :) They'll be really huge I
> think.

They don't have to - just split stuff into manageable pieces. We keep
one file per client which gets included into the bacula-dir configuration.

Use templating wherever you can.