Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Deploying Bacula

2010-02-01 19:54:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Deploying Bacula
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Fred <fred AT nfrance DOT com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:32:58 -0500
Fred wrote:
> Hello dear Bacula (happy) users.
>
> After some testings, I plan to deploy Bacula on my infrastructure. I'm
> currently working for a web hosting enterprise so we have some... weird
> configurations, mixing OS flavours and OS versions.
>
> A little presentation of the infrastructure:
>
>     - Server dedicated to us, let say, corporate servers. They are more
> or less 30. They act like DNS servers, mail serversn NAS and so on.
> Mainly FreeBSD servers.
>     - Shared servers. The clients hosted on these have some
> semi-dedicated servers, principally running on FreeBSD jails or old
> Debian Etch vservers
>     - Dedicated servers, the big part, between 250 and 300 servers,
> running with FreeBSD from 6.2 to 8.
>
> No windows :)
>
> Now, the hard work. I want to have separate backups, with different
> retention times for system and home. Our users have all their datas
> located on /home. So I plan to have:
>
>    - For system, Full backup every months, 6 months retention an
> differential every week. The systems are quite stables and we can
> restore one week old without many problems.
>    - For home directories, Full backup every month, Diff every week,
> and, of course, Incremental every day of the week.
>
> So, my questions are:
>     - How do I define my pools ?

Define them along the lines of the parameters for Pool.  For starters,
different retention times require different Pools.

> I'm thinking about having 6 pools, one "system" and one "home" for each
> kind of server (corporate, shared and dedicated).
>
>     - How fast and powerful should be my director hosting the database ?
> (PostgreSQL) (Actually, we backup 300-400 GB a day, mainly rsync of home
> dirs, and we have near 600 servers to backup each day)

It is not so much the size of the backups, it's more the number of files
in the backup.  Backing up 1 million files each 1KB in size will take
longer than backing up 1 file of 1 million KB.  That is because there
will be 1 million times more database accesses (in general) for the
larger number of files.

So if you have 600 servers to backup, that's at least 600 jobs.  That's
a high performance situation, but I'm sure it's not the largest Bacula
installation around.  What hardware do you have available for your
database server?  I would recommend making dedicated just to the Bacula
server, give it fast HDD, and lots of RAM.