Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula: Implementation!

2010-02-02 09:52:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula: Implementation!
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:49:53 -0500
On 02/02/10 05:42, eugene ngontang wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm a new in Bacula, and i'm willing to install the soft on my network.
> I read the documentation, but for those who have an experience of bacula
> implementation, I want you to guide in this start up:
>
> -I want to install the last version of bacula (5.0.0) on ubuntu 9.10
>
> -I want to know if all the bacula componentS should be installed on the
> same machine

That depends on how you want to set it up, really.  Every machine that
you will be backing up needs a File Daemon (client).  Your catalog
database will USUALLY be on the same machine as your Director, but does
not have to be.  Your Storage daemon MAY be on the same machine as your
Director, but again does not have to be (and from the point of view of
disk load, there are distinct arguments in favor of having your Catalog
database and your Storage daemon on different machines).

> -Should that machine have several hard drive disks , or can I backup my
> files and data through the network on a different computer not
> obligately where bacula is installed?

See above.  The storage daemon need not be on the same machine as the
director.  For that matter, you need not be limited to one storage
daemon.  Bacula is a network-centric backups system; ALL of its
resources can be distributed around your network where they are most
appropriate.  (It is suggested, however, that your storage daemon(s) and
your Director have fast network connections, gigabit if possible.)

> -To get a clear response I will take a scenario: I have my computer
> where I want to install bacula(ubuntu 9.10); I have 5 computers(with
> windows xp) to set a dayly backup, I have two servers for the storage.

Then you COULD (note that this is ONE way of doing it, not necessarily
the ONLY way) do this:
- Put your Director and your Catalog database on the Ubuntu machine
- Put Storage daemons on both servers
- Put File daemons on all eight machines
- Configure Bacula to distribute backup jobs between the two Storage
servers.

Naturally, you would ensure that on the two Storage servers, Bacula's
disk pools are located on filesystems that ARE NOT backed up.  In your
place, I would set it up so that each storage server backs up the
*OTHER* storage server plus three other clients, counting the Director
as a client for this purpose; and I might also consider setting it up
such that the two storage servers swap which set of additional clients
they back up on alternate weeks.

For example, let's call the storage servers S1 and S2, the Ubuntu
director/catalog machine DC, and the Windows clients C1 through C5.
Then the backups would go like this:

EVEN WEEKS:
        S1 stores backups of S2, C1, C2, C3
        S2 stores backups of S1, C4, C5, DC
ODD WEEKS:
        S1 stores backups of S2, C4, C5, DC
        S2 stores backups of S1, C1, C2, C3

Note that the Storage servers NEVER store their *own* backups, so if
either server crashes, it can always be restored from the other.
Because the servers alternate which clients they back up, even if one
server is down, there will always be a set of backups of every client,
not more than a week old, available on the other server.

> -Is it an inconvenience for using postgress instead of mysql?

Not at all.  Bacula supports either.

> -Finally, can i send my messages to the mailing list in french?

English is preferred, thanks.  English is to a large extent (pardon the
irony here) the lingua franca of science and of the Internet.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.