Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] can't restore after upgrade

2010-01-29 10:30:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] can't restore after upgrade
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Kiryl Hakhovich <khakhovich AT bsolution DOT net>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:28:19 -0500
On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Kiryl Hakhovich
<khakhovich AT bsolution DOT net> wrote:
> On 01/29/2010 08:12 AM, John Drescher wrote:
>>>
>>> so i did read about these volume utilities and did use half of them
>>> during
>>> my experience with bacula, however:
>>> - using bscan into catalog (accoriding to doc's) scanned for a while,
>>> said
>>> database updated, however running restore complain again about records
>>> are
>>> being pruned (note my volumes are all set/marked as "used" the ones i am
>>> trying to access)
>>>

>> Being marked as used should have nothing at all to do with the ability
>> to restore data. Unless the volumes are getting pruned automatically.
>>

>>> dbcheck seem to do lot's of clean up rather finding something that may
>>> have
>>> been corrupt (which i think happen during upgrade)
>>>
>>> after all i did restore with regexp, but still would be cool to find a
>>> solution as to where are the records from db.
>>>
>>> (i could and may, will do a clean 5.0 install or something and rescan all
>>> tapes back if there are no work around in this area)
>>>

>> So you are using 5.0.0. There were several bugs found since its
>> release. One weird one is on first run bacula says its pruning volumes
>> that are around 40 years old.
>>

>>> are there any more info i can provide to help this troubleshoot ?
>>>

>> Please post the messages you get when you try to restore any of this
>> data. Along with any log info that says it is pruning. Like you
>> mentioned in the section about using bscan.
>>
>> John
>>

> let me rephrase all this.... isn't my problem that "job retention" set to
> short after all? thus volumes are in tact and not purged but any restore
> beyond 6 months (which fall in on the month we upgraded, plain coincident)
> need a jobid info and file records which has been pruned ?
>
> i am correct?

If you have job info in the database then you can restore an entire
job. With file info you can select individual jobs. If you are trying
to restore jobs that are older than your retention period and the
media was not overwritten you can temporarily disable or extend the
retention periods so that after bscan it does not automatically throw
out the database info.

John