Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula and mysql password security

2010-01-27 14:08:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula and mysql password security
From: "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale AT activenetwerx DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:01:23 +0000
>So it seems the bacula-dir.conf file is doing what it is supposed to do. Of
>course I may be misinterpreting everything but it does seem to be
>functioning as I need it to.

I found when I was learning it the most useful approach I had  was
to actually just sit and read each Resource Definition in the 3.0.x manual:
http://www.bacula.org/3.0.x-manuals/en/install/install/Bacula_Installation_Configu.html

That clarified lots for me, it really only took a few minutes to go through
it all, but this way I caught nuances such as where things can be defined
and I built an approach I can at least understand. I also separated my config
out in individual files, my director conf has this:

@/etc/bacula/bacula-dir-clients.conf
@/etc/bacula/bacula-dir-filesets.conf
@/etc/bacula/bacula-dir-jobdefs.conf
@/etc/bacula/bacula-dir-jobs.conf
@/etc/bacula/bacula-dir-pools.conf
@/etc/bacula/bacula-dir-schedules.conf
@/etc/bacula/bacula-dir-storage.conf

So it only has Director/Catalog/Messages/Console defs in it.

It should be obvious what goes where. There's still lots I don't know
but the important thing is to test constantly, you don't want be to
standing around when something breaks wondering why you can't get your data
back:)

I routinely do test restores of various data and hash it with the original
myself, so far its worked very well.

jlc