Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Help - Is bacula the right tool for me?

2009-12-01 17:45:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Help - Is bacula the right tool for me?
From: "Lucas B. Cohen" <mli6 AT free DOT fr>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 23:41:48 +0100
Hey Joe,

Bazooka Joe wrote:

> Is the windows client intuitive for non techies?
No, because :
        - it is tricky to install
        - there are issues with the tray icon being displayed
        - it is not really meant to interact with the user, it simply runs as a
service in the background.
        - in case of misconfiguration, the service will fail, somewhat silently.

Yes, because :
        - it is not really meant to interact with the user, it simply runs as a
service in the background. I've never seen the windows client  do
anything that might cause a basic user to call for support.

(by "windows client" I'm only refering to the service responsible for
sending the files to be backed up; not to some kind of self-service file
restoration interface)

> Would you suggest a different open source solution?
Backuppc is a program built around rsync, which perhaps would better
suit your needs.

Best,

--
Lucas B. Cohen

"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
than the question of whether a submarine can swim." - Edgar W. Dijkstra