Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Help - Is bacula the right tool for me?

2009-12-01 16:01:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Help - Is bacula the right tool for me?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bazooka Joe <fastfish AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:56:31 -0500
> I am looking to provide a service similar to Carbonite for my business
> clients.

Never heard of that.

> Before I spend the time to install and test I thought I would ask a
> few questions first that I couldn't find on the net.
>
> How does it perform if the clients are on dsl? ~300k upload

I do not think this is one of bacula's strengths. Firewalls need
specific workarounds because the client machine needs to initiate data
transfers to the machine that has the data storage.

> Does it do delta thing like rsync?

No, all files are either compressed on the client or sent in their entirety

> Is the windows client intuitive for non techies?

I do not have the time to answer this question. I can tell you that
there are several client GUI options.

> Is the backup initiated from the client or the server?

The backups are originated from the server with a backup set that the
server knows about. This can be a file stored on the client that
contains the files or folders to backup.

> Can client pause backup?

No

> Will it work for many small business for one server install?

Yes

> Would you suggest a different open source solution?

No idea. I have >20TB+ of data and about 50 clients (windows and
linux) with bacula for the last 5 to 6 years.

John