Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Help - Is bacula the right tool for me?

2009-12-01 16:25:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Help - Is bacula the right tool for me?
From: "Jeff Kalchik" <jkalchik AT mchsi DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:22:31 -0600 (CST)
> I am looking to provide a service similar to Carbonite for my business
> clients.
>
> Before I spend the time to install and test I thought I would ask a
> few questions first that I couldn't find on the net.
>
> How does it perform if the clients are on dsl? ~300k upload
> Does it do delta thing like rsync?
> Is the windows client intuitive for non techies?
> Is the backup initiated from the client or the server?
> Can client pause backup?
> Will it work for many small business for one server install?
> Would you suggest a different open source solution?

IIRC, Carbonite is a public service for backing up machines over the
public Internet.  I doubt that Bacula will work for you, as all of the
scheduling and definition is done on the server end.  If one of your
clients add a drive to a machine, you'll have to change the backup
definition.  No, it's not a good idea to allow a client to do that.  To
provide security between clients, you'd need a separate Bacula cluster for
each client.

As John Drescher indicated in a separate note, getting Bacula directors
and file daemons to communicate over firewalls is not necessarily a simple
task.

In short, I don't think Bacula is what you're looking for, considering
that you'd like the client to be more than trivially involved.

Jeff Kalchik