Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] multiple copies

2009-07-29 04:53:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] multiple copies
From: Christian Gaul <christian.gaul AT otop DOT de>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:27:10 +0200
John Drescher schrieb:
> The goal was to allow an a local and off-site backups of the same
> fileset to be independent. I remember that I did this in the past
> (years ago) that this worked if you created 2 jobs that contained the
> same fileset. Apparently in bacula 3.0.X this no longer works, so the
> need was to now create 2 jobs and 2 filesets. But the OP did not want
> the chance of the filesets to differ between the two jobs..

I tried doing things this way when i got started with bacula (around
version 2.2 / 2.4) and i found it impossible. I also opted to go for
separate filesets with (almost) identical content.

FWIW having separate filesets also allows you to have separate lvm
snapshot locations in the fileset definition which i found useful in the
end.

I also find it annoying that i can not define a way to make bacula base
incrementals on the pool or even SD (afaik).. this forced me to create
yet another fileset / job pairing to not have tape incrementals based on
a HDD full.. which wouldnt be very useful some years down the road when
the HDD has long since been exchanged / erased etc.

If you try to do an offsite configuration (separate SD outside of your
main office), HDD storage for quick restores with low retention and a
tape storage for long time archival, then you end up with X clients, X*3
jobs with X*3 filesets to keep them all belonging together correctly and
basing incrementals / differentials on the correct full. Yes, you could
also try copy or migration jobs, but for that to work you have to use
only one SD, which doesnt work with offsite storage and personally i
have had some SD lockups, using one SD for each type of storage has
proven to be much more reliable (tape SD rarely locks up on me, but the
one backing up to HDD does so about once a week which would take tape
storage down with it if i didnt separate the SDs).