Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] efficient disk backups

2009-07-13 09:41:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] efficient disk backups
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: Jon Schewe <jpschewe AT mtu DOT net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:37:55 +0100
Hi,

thanks for the response.

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Jon Schewe wrote:

> The first thing I notice is that you're doing incremental backups every
> other day. I'd really encourage you to do them everyday if you can,
> otherwise on that odd day you're going to be really unhappy when a disk
> crashes and you've lots 2 days worth of data rather than just 1.

Sorry, that was badly phrased, I would indeed being using incrementals
every day.  By every "other day" I meant every day that the other
(differential + full) backups didn't run.

> As far as spreading out the full and differential backups, the only
> downside that I can see is that it'll increase your restore time as
> you'll need to go back to a differential and a full to do a restore and
> a lot can change in there.

I thought that might be a bit of an issue alright.  I guess the time to
restore is a function of the number of volumes which must be consulted and
the time seeking through each one.  A single file restore should always be
a single volume but multiple files (or even all files) could potentially
come from up to 36 incrementals, a differential and a full.  I can see how
that might be a little slow alright :-)

> One question to think about is how far back do you need to be able to
> restore? I'm finding that a lot of places only need to go back 60 to 90
> days. If that's the case, then you set your recycle time much lower on
> your full backups and you only keep 1 or 2 full backups.

To be honest, that requirement is not as well-defined as it might be, but
I'll see if I can get better information.  Instinctively, I'd rather put up
with the slower restore if it gave me an extra few months of backups.  Time
to ask for more specifics.

Many thanks for your help,
Gavin