Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] efficient disk backups

2009-07-14 20:02:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] efficient disk backups
From: mehma sarja <mehmasarja AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:56:30 -0700
Gavin,

Not all data is created equal. You might classify data which is super important and changes often - it needs a lot of care and feeding. It is also data which needs redundancy in backup hardware. Mail tends to be like that. People get a message, read it and then delete it. The next day they go looking for it. Even a daily backup may not catch the message if the user deleted the message withing the day.

Then there is data which does not change often, lingers around for a long time, like user files. And we can be more sloppy with safeguarding it. Meaning, if the backup lives on a cheap RAID 0 array (e-sata array), and the whole array goes south. You can start another backup in the background and hope in the mean time the original stays stable - you can recover.

Bacula allows you to have multiple storage locations, each running a sd. This divorcing of one type of data from another has other benefits - similar to having multiple smaller volumes versus a few big ones. If one volume gets corrupted, it affects a smaller set of data. Spend the money where you really need to spend it.

Yudhvir
===