Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] efficient disk backups

2009-07-13 10:22:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] efficient disk backups
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:18:31 +0100
Hi,

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> I guess the time to restore is a function of the number of volumes which
> must be consulted and the time seeking through each one.  A single file
> restore should always be a single volume but multiple files (or even all
> files) could potentially come from up to 36 incrementals, a differential
> and a full.

On reflection that worst case would be reading three volumes, but with
multiple sessions per volume:

 - 1 incremental volume with up to 31 sessions
 - 1 differential volume
 - 1 full volume

I guess that gets slower depending how old the full volume is, but also
depending on how much data changes in the period between full backups.  Our
mail spool increases in size by about 5GB per month which should be a
rough (under-)estimate of how much the data actually changes.

Gavin